Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Granola

I LOVE this granola.  My mom made this when we were young from time to time, and we all loved it.  I now eat it for breakfast mixed with yogurt almost every day! 

GRANOLA
Pre-heat oven to 275F.

8 c. oatmeal (quick oats)
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. wheat germ (I don't usually put this in b/c it is so expensive.)
1 c. coconut
1 c. chopped nuts (I use walnuts or pecans depending on what I have on hand.)
Mix in large pan.  (My sister uses a cookie sheet, but I end up making a mess when I use a cookie sheet.)

Then mix:
3/4 c. oil
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. honey
1 Tbs. salt
1 Tbs. vanilla
Heat in microwave for a minute or two so as to be able to mix and get salt mixed in well.

Pour over dry ingredients.  Stir until moisture is evenly distributed.

Bake at 275 for 2 hours stirring every 15-20 minutes.  (I often cook it for about 1 hr. and then turn oven off and leave overnight.  Should be a nice golden brown with a delicious crunch when done.  Enjoy with milk, yogurt, on a parfait, or just as a dry snack.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Want to figure the calorie count on a 1/2 cup of that for me? Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know! But, it's probably a lot. It's 7 WW points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been so long since I have made granola. You give me the urge!

    ReplyDelete