Sunday, February 13, 2011

Busy about Service

Tonight I listened to a sermon by Joe Tyrpak on singleness.  Joe has a way with hitting the nail directly on the head! Wowzers!  I also recommend this one.  You'll think twice about getting married after listening to it! It was very encouraging, and it motivated me to write something that is/has been on my heart.

As a single person, I am aware that it is easy to be selfish and self-centered.  Because of that, I have purposed in my heart to do everything in my possibility to thwart those natural tendencies.  I am very well aware that EVERYONE struggles with self-absorption...but I also know that mothers are forced, whether willingly or unwillingly, to think of others and put other needs above their own.  For example, I just am totally awed at the selflessness of having to get up in the night with crying children.  I LOVE my sleep.  Do NOT interfere with my sleep.  If you want me to be a gracious, kind, helpful person during the day, then do NOT interfere with my sleep.  I repeat.  Do NOT! I find that my graciousness and my servant-mindedness are greatly thwarted when I do not get the hours of sleep that I think my body requires.  Losing sleep alone calls for large amounts of putting other's needs before one's own needs.  See my point?  Sure, I'll minister...as long as it is on MY terms.

So, how is it easy to be self-ish?  I don't come home to a mess created by others (I do come home to a mess, but it is, unfortunately, my own!);  I don't have to make sure that children are clothed, fed, and bathed;  I don't have to make sure the needs of my husband are met; etc....  Overall, I could very easily have a self-centered life.  It is natural.  It appeals to my flesh.

However, I long ago determined that I did not want to be the stereo-typical single female.  You know, the one who comes home from work, eats microwave meals in front of the TV while petting her cat, and acts, in general, like death warmed over!  (Not a whole lot of fear there for me, as I strongly dislike cats!)  And, the woman who, in modern times, updates her FB status with comments that "draw out pity" from others about their sink leaking and how "they need a man" to fix it!  (Or those that write stories about flying rodents and wishing there were a man around to take care of it!!!  :-) )  You may laugh, or you may be offended, but you know what I mean.  (And, please, I am not saying that all single women with a cat fall into this stereo-typical single that I am describing.  I know many who are not.)  But, unfortunately, I have known many who are--w/o the cat!

So, if I was not going to be this "old-maid", how was I going to avoid it?  What, exactly, was I going to do to make sure that I did not become this "old-maid"?  I quickly realized that I was going to have to be intentional about it.  I was going to have to make specific plans that would make sure I did not become that "old-maid" that I saw in so many around me, and that I found to be very un-Christ-like.

I went to the Scriptures first and discovered that singleness was a good thing.  And, you know why or how it's a good thing?  Because of the ministry to the Church.  God NEEDS singles in the Church to fulfill His plan in the Church.  That is an amazing thing.  In our Christian society, marriage and the family are highly promoted--and rightfully so--it is vitally important.  But in uplifting marriage our fundamental circles have tended to lessen the importance of singleness or at least have neglected the vitality and Gospel purpose of singleness.  What I found in the Scriptures is that Paul lifts singleness up.  He makes a very strong argument for the effectiveness of ministry that a single person can have that a married person cannot because she is tied down to the things of this world.  Those "things" are good things in their rightful place, but they do monopolize her time.  A mother's primary ministry is to her husband and children.  A single lady is not so encumbered.  I discovered that I had a purpose for being single.  That purpose was (is) to minister to the Church. 

That was when I purposed in my heart that I would use my singleness as God intended: to minister to the local Church.  I also purposed that I would work at not being a self-centered person.  I don't have the "built-in" aid of children "forcing" me to think beyond my own needs.  I knew that I had to be purposeful.  I had to plan.

So, I began.  I sat down and brainstormed.  What were some things that I could do that fit my gifts, my personality?  What were some things that I could do that would stretch me?  Take me out of my comfort zone?

I could: 
  • have people into my home
  • host gatherings
  • fix meals for those who were sick or just had a baby
  • get coffee with that "new" lady at church
  • babysit so that a young couple could have an evening out
  • send an email to someone I knew was discouraged
  • work in the nursery
  • get involved with a family that I could be an "aunt" to and minister to their family
  • pray for the mothers of our assembly--that they would find joy and fulfillment as they minister in a sometimes thankless environment
  • go out of my way at church to offer a word of encouragement to an elderly lady
  • plan a luncheon for ladies to help them get to know each other
  • teach a SS class (if that is a possibility)
The list goes on, but I'll stop there.  It takes some time and some effort, but it is the most fulfilling, satisfying, and exciting thing you will ever do.  When we are busy about the service of the Lord, when we are busy doing what God has called us to do, when we are busy being selfLESS, there is no time for being selfISH.

When I find myself getting down or lonely, I remember what I'm here for.  I'm here to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  I'm not here to mope.  I'm not here to make others feel sorry for me.  I'm not here to be bitter, acting as if God has made some huge mistake, and I'm going to sit in my house and pout and feel sorry for myself.  At those times, when those feelings come, and they do come, I set about being grateful that God has deemed me worthy to minister to His Church through singleness; I set about ministering to others.

As I'm busy about service, I find that I am completely fulfilled, that I am full of joy.  I find that I am ministering to others in ways that I never even dreamed of.  I find that, even being single (!!!), I have a distinct purpose in Christ's plan.  The Gospel is furthered; God is glorified, and I am fulfilling my purpose in life: to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

So, let's be busy about service, my single and married friends.  Fulfill to the fullest God's plan for you:  whether it is doing the thankless job of mothering or dealing with the loneliness of singleness.  In both, when looking at others and being motivated by the Gospel, we can find complete and total fulfillment and joy.

So, plan, be purposeful, be deliberate about service--if you're married--to your children and husband first (and hence the Church), if you're single--to others within the Church.  It will change your life; it will change someone else's life; it will cause you to glorify God; it will make you a ministry-oriented person instead of self-absorbed person.

Be busy about Service!

2 comments:

  1. Becky here...Wow! We all need to be less "self" minded and do whatever we can to serve the body of Christ. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts that are true for all of us. Being busy about the Lord's work makes our lives more purposeful. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete