Sunday, January 23, 2011

World's Best Tomato Sauce

Here is a fairly simple homemade tomato sauce. I promise, once you make your own, you will never buy spaghetti sauce out of a can again! I make up a lot and then freeze in ziplock bags. Carefully pour into ziplock bag desired amount. Get as much air out as possible. Please on cookie sheet; freeze. Remove from cookie sheet, place in larger Ziplock, and you have tomato sauce for a multitude of recipes within arms reach. A wonderful thing to have when you don't feel like cooking!
I strongly recommend investing in a chopper. I personally like this one from Pampered Chef, but cheaper (and yes, I said cheaper, not inexpensive--they're cheaper!) can be found in most stores in the kitchen section.
I have to give Gina's Skinny Recipes the basic credit for this recipe. I've made a few adjustments along the way. :) That's me, I rarely follow a recipe to the T.
2 lg cans of petite diced tomatoes
2 lg cans of crushed tomatoes
2 TBS olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed (or 3 TBS of pre-chopped garlic)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 c. carrots, finely chopped
1 c. chicken broth
1 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS brown sugar
Saute garlic in oil, add onions and tomatoes. Saute for 3-5 minutes
Add tomatoes, chicken broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar and simmer for 45 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Yum! How much does this recipe yield? I love the freezing idea!

    ReplyDelete