Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"Cozy" Care Groups

At my church we have "Care Group" gatherings the first Wednesday of each month.  These times have become very special times--for our group at least.  Because of the smaller, more familial environment people are generally more open and comfortable and therefore there are more testimonies.

This month I hosted.  I was a bit concerned about how I would fit everyone in without it feeling really crowded since we usually meet at the Casillases who have a huge room.  However, it worked out just fine.  I brought in the porch chairs, all the dining room chairs, had people bring folding chairs....and it worked just fine--perhaps a bit cozy, but just fine!

One thing I have really been working on is not being overly concerned with appearances.  I happen to be the type of person that loves to make sure things look nice, no great, in fact, above and beyond GREAT.  In other words:  I'm a Martha. 

So, tonight, I forced myself to go simple.  I asked other people to help make the food (which was great--even though I was not the one to do it!) and just focused on making sure the house was clean, and I was calm and ready to be a gracious hostess.

What I am learning:  it doesn't matter that my house is spotless, it doesn't matter that I don't always break out the fine china or that my napkins don't match my plates, what matters:  people feel welcomed, the atmosphere is warm, and people relax, open up, share, and develop godly relationships.

It doesn't take living in the Taj Mahal; it can be a simple 1-bedroom apartment or even a 1-room studio, or a nice sized living room.  What matters is that the hostess has spent time at the feet of her Saviour in order to be a blessing to those that enter her house.

Tonight was such a blessing.  There were 25 people gathered in my living--each who had specific needs.  Many shared deep, heartfelt burdens.  Special on our minds are several close friends/relatives who are looking death face on.  It was such an encouragement to be reminded of the power of prayer and the blessing that the believer has in knowing that the Spirit is praying on our behalf.

This was taken a while ago but gives an idea of the size of my lovely, cozy living room.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Donna! Enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Also love the new blog title and look! Okay, so I've been so out of the loop that maybe it's not new now :-) Anyway, I like it, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your post (Don't worry, Liz - I was out of the loop too!). It was a good reminder to me - I often stress about wanting things to be perfect for guests in our little on bedroom apartment...but as you said what matters is that "people feel welcomed, the atmosphere is warm, and people relax, open up, share, and develop godly relationships."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new blog. My other one is still blocked. Just got burdened to start this one. I'm sure my readership will be extremely small, but maybe it will help one or two people along the way. Glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete