Monday, October 25, 2010

"Singly"

Why the word "singly":

Well, I happen to be one of those weird individuals that actually likes to read the dictionary.  Now mind you, I have not had time to read a dictionary in a very long time, but I still like new, somewhat uncommon words.  So, I looked this word up, and it really is in the dictionary!  It's an adverb and has the following meanings:
  1. as a single, separate person or thing;
  2. single-handed; unaided
  3. without the presence or help of others; alone.
My reasons are two-fold: 1)  I'm single--a lot of what I do is alone or single-handed!  2)  I'm definitely unique (NOT eccentric, I hope!), and I am very happy.

So, I wanted a title that played off of the single aspect but also portrayed how I feel about that singleness.  Did the acceptance of being single and unique come over night?  Is it a struggle that is fought, won, and then done with?  No.  However, through the years the Lord has been gracious to me and given me not just an acceptance, but a solid and contented joy in my singleness.  While the definition does partly apply, the word obviously does not take into consideration our Heavenly Father.  Because of that, though I am single, I am not alone, I am not unaided, and I am not without the presence of Another.

My desire is that this blog will help other ladies to realize that they are not alone and also the potential they have in being a rare and even matchless gift to the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment